Drugs to Avoid with Mastocytosis

This is a follow up post to my post yesterday about Titan's recent breakouts.   I had an experience at the doctor that made me want to check the ingredients to some cold and cough medicines we've been giving him lately.  These are the two medicines in question, an equate children's multi-symptom cold relief and Delsum Children's Night Time Cough & Cold. 





I looked at the The Mastocytosis Society's page for the ER and what drugs to administer with caution.  Alcohol solutions were on that list.


After looking at the ingredients on these two meds I noticed Sorbitol and Malitol both of which are sugar alcohols.  I'm not real sure if that's the same thing as an "alcohol solution" but we are going to stop using them just in case.  Besides from what I understand children under 6 shouldn't be taking this medicine anyways.  We will use this alcohol free version of Delsym instead.  This was originally what our pediatrician prescribed a few years ago when Titan was little.  Somehow letting husband man wander in the store to pick up medicine these other few have made it into our cupboards.



*UPDATE:  I wanted to add this update that I found in my search about cough suppressants.  In a recent post I described the triggers in these cough suppressants to avoid as I found from a list of common mast cell granulation triggers.  If you are a masto momma you definitely need to have this list printed out and placed in a bag for your child to have on hand at all times (or at least have access to this webpage when you need help).

 After just going to their website I found an interesting way to check out the level of cough and cold symptoms in my area.  Just enter your zip code and it tells you the current cough levels, right now our area is very high, which is not surprising with all this flu going around!


Enjoy!
-erika

Comments

Have you thought about using essential oils instead of OTC stuff? They're all plant based and when you get the right kind they're intensely pure, with no fillers, alcohol, or anything that could degrade the oils.
We've been using them for a year for everything. Sore muscles, cough, colds, pneumonia, burns, allergic reactions, etc. It's been pretty amazing how well they consistently work.

Popular Posts